We're excited to unveil a recipe that will awaken your taste buds: Smoky Cheesy Meatballs. In this culinary journey, we'll explore the perfect combination of flavours and techniques to elevate your barbecue experience.
Picture this: succulent beef and pork mince, expertly seasoned with Aldergrills Basic Bish Rub, forming the base of these delectable meatballs. But that's just the beginning. We'll take these meatballs to the next level by adding a surprise element – a molten core of mozzarella. This cheese-filled surprise will delight your senses with each bite, offering an irresistible contrast to the smoky, savoury meat.
And here's the kicker – we won't stop there. To ensure these meatballs are truly exceptional, we'll sear them to perfection before introducing them to the Hark Chubby offset smoker. This searing step adds a delectable crust that locks in the juices, creating a flavor explosion that's nothing short of spectacular.
So, whether you're a seasoned pitmaster or a barbecue enthusiast looking to up your game, join us on this flavorful journey. With our detailed instructions and expert tips, you'll master the art of creating Smoky Cheesy Meatballs that will be the highlight of your next barbecue gathering. Get ready to savour the smoky goodness and experience BBQ like never before!
Keyword: Smoked Cheesy Meatballs
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Rest Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Servings: 6 people
- Hark Chubby Smoker
- Tramontina Barbecue Board
- Heat Resistant Gloves
- Fuel - Charcoal
Smoked Cheesy Stuffed Meatballs
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
400g beef mince
300g pork mince
Aldergrills Basic Bish Rub
1 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
100g mozzarella, cut into 12 equal chunks
Smokey Tomato Sauce
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Splash red wine vinegar
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
Pinch caster sugar
Salt and Pepper to your liking
- Preheat your smoker
- Start by getting your smoker ready. Preheat it to a steady temperature of 225-250°F (107-121°C) using a combination of charcoal as your base and Ironbark Firewood.
- Mix the Meatballs
- Place a cast-iron skillet on the smoker's cooking grate or directly on the smoker's firebox. Add the olive oil and chopped red onion. Sauté until the onions are soft and translucent, soaking up that smoky goodness.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef and pork mince. Season generously with Aldergrills Basic Bish Rub. This rub adds a perfect balance to the meat. Add chopped parsley and half of the sautéed onions. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Take a handful of the meat mixture and form it into a ball. Press a chunk of mozzarella into the center and reshape the meat around it to create a meatball. Repeat until you've used all the meat. This mixture should make 12 equal-size balls.
- Sear the Meatballs
- Heat a cast-iron skillet on high heat. When the skillet is hot, sear the meatballs on all sides until they develop a beautiful crust. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Make the Sauce
- While the meatballs are searing, you can prepare the tomato sauce. In a separate cast-iron skillet, add the remaining sautéed onions and garlic. Sauté briefly until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, red wine vinegar, a pinch of caster sugar, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken for about 20 minutes over low heat until thickened.
- Smoke the Meatballs
- Transfer the meatballs to the tomato sauce and top with the grated cheese.
- Place the Meatballs on the smoker's cooking grate. Smoke the meatballs for about 1.5 to 2 hours or until they reach an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C).
- Once the Meatballs reach internal temperature, remove them from the Smoker and allow them to rest for 10 minutes.